New features in Linux Mint 17 MATE
It comes down with updated computer software and brings refinements and lots of new features to make your desktop experience much more comfortable to make use of.
The Update Manager ended up being hugely improved.
It shows more details, it l ks better, it feels faster, plus it gets less in your way. It not has to reload itself in r t mode when you click on it. It not checks for the web connection or waits for the network supervisor also it not any longer locks the APT cache at session startup.
The UI ended up being improved, the icons were modified a little as well as the changelog retrieval is now considerably faster and much more dependable.
A brand new “type” line was put into differentiate between old-fashioned updates, safety updates, backports and romeo updates.
Protection updates can now bypass safety amounts and two new choices had been added to help you determine when they should always be visible if they should be chosen. By standard these choices are correspondingly set to real and also to False.
The annals of updates accustomed just protect the updates done by the Update Manager. This will be not any longer the way it is. They now function all updates done regarding the system, be it with all the Update Manager, apt-get, aptitude and even directly with gdebi or dpkg.
A new part of the Update Manager presents all of the available kernels. The growth group use this section to give you relevant information about new kernels, whatever they fix, what they break, and that means you can decide which kernel is suitable for you.
The Driver Manager is currently in a position to install motorists without having a connection to cyberspace.
When offline, the Driver Manager asks you to definitely plug into the installation medium and profits to mount it as being a short-term package repository.
It is now much simpler as an example to set up Linux Mint on laptops built with Broadcom wireless chipsets, and also you not need an an ethernet cable.
MDM had been refined, and it received brand new features and bug that is important.
Multi-monitor support was enhanced
- Now you can configure which of your monitors is utilized once the main monitory by MDM
- It’s simple to determine a color that is history a background picture no real matter what greeter you’re utilizing
The HTML greeter now includes HiDPI support.
The default login theme features the following improvements
- Its now possible to enter a username which will be perhaps not present in the list of users
- The backdrop animation uses less CPU usage
MDM can be now able to identify your session as well as your language also it preselects them by standard.
Finally, MDM comes with a data recovery command. If you find yourself struggling to join, you can press CTRL+ALT+F1 to log in the system, and type “mdm-recovery”. This demand offers MDM a configuration that is safe it switches it to your GTK greeter, enables the logs and restarts your pc.
A brand new “Language Settings” t l had been introduced. It replaces “Language help” and unifies locale administration in Linux Mint and LMDE for Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce.
The t l allows you to select a language, to utilize it system-wide, and to install languages that are additional the system.
The “Software Sources” configuration t l received a few UI and usability improvements.
A caution ended up being added from the use of the “backport” and “romeo” aspects of the Linux Mint repositories. For every single of these, a confirmation dialog describes at length what they’re, who they really are for when and exactly why they should or must not be triggered.
The welcome display screen had been redesigned and no longer uses webkit. It uses less resources and launches much faster.
MATE 1.8 features the improvements that are following
- Caja received a choice to make use of IEC units alternatively of SI devices and a brand new “start parent location” option into the search view context menu.
- Marco, the screen manager, was given side-by-side tiling.
- The logout dialog includes a progress club.
- The image audience can now shuffle pictures in slideshow mode.
- The sreensaver now shows the date and time.
- Pressing the center mouse on the quantity applet now toggles mute.
- The note that is sticky was given the capability to “undo”.
- A brand new “command” applet was introduced.
- MATE 1.8 features a yelp user guide that is integrated.
- MATE 1.8 carries a new mpaste command which you can use to paste text to paste.mate-desktop
The brand new version of MATE is lighter than before, better documented and better translated.
The growth group also spent time on enhancing the integration of MATE within Linux Mint
- MintMenu received an amount that is huge of fixes.
- MintMenu as well as the Mint-X theme were adapted to respect mate-panel’s transparency settings.
- MintDesktop features a cleaner UI and no much longer shows Marco settings whenever you are running Compiz.
Linux Mint 17 features the following changes
- lsb_release now supports a -u choice to show upstream LSB information (i.e. the LSB that is same you’ll get in Ubuntu Trusty)
- The shutdown sequence had been fixed.
- Hexchat replaces Xchat as the standard IRC client.
Linux Mint 17 comes with a superb assortment of backgrounds and photographs from the following artists
The Mint-X theme is improved with every release that is new. These times it absolutely was entirely revamped. It features the feel that is same before however with better tints, better widgets, and more consistency between t lkits.
Linux Mint 17 features MATE 1.8, MDM 1.6, a Linux kernel 3.13 and an Ubuntu 14.04 package base.
Linux Mint 17 will receive safety updates until 2019.
Until 2016, future versions of Linux Mint will use the exact same package base as Linux Mint 17, which makes it trivial for people to update.
Until 2016, the development group won’t begin working for a base that is new are going to be fully centered on https://datingmentor.org/escort/cedar-rapids/ this one.
Linux Mint is cost-free (thanks to your contributions and adverts on the site) and now we hope you will enjoy it.
Some of the packages we distribute are underneath the GPL. If you want to access their source rule you need to use the apt-get source command. If you cannot find what you’re l king for please write to r t AT linuxmint DOT com and now we’ll provide the source to you.